11.11.08

Obamarama



I know this is probably about the four billionth post about how great Obama is, but I'll go ahead and say what I mean to say anyway.  I'm so incredibly proud of our country.  Our country was founded on ideals of equality and the basic rights of man (I won't go into that since I already have an essay's worth of things to say about that) and some of those rights were great ideas but didn't really work out when they got the country started.  Abolishing slavery wasn't just a cool idea Lincoln came up with one morning, they'd been talking about it for years.  It took them three quarters of a century to get that done.  But even after they abolished slavery there was clear racism in america.  I don't want to bore you with a stupid brief history of the civil rights movement ect.  
The point is that Obama being elected president is probably among the most important events in our nation's history.  It has turned the american dream into something even wider and more inclusive.  Growing up teachers said "anybody can be president" but now I actually believe it.  And the fact that he is also and incredible smart leader who will do great things with this country and was elected for that and not because of his being black is even better.  Nothing will ever be the same.
That being said, I'd like to also say something about John McCain.  I was talking to my friends on election day about the whole thing and finding out just how misinformed people can be. Almost all of my friends are very liberal people and I consider myself to be a moderate with liberal leanings.  But they were saying wild things like "if McCain wins then it's over, I'm moving to Canada,"  or "Mark Kirk is a crazy man."  I know they were exaggerating for effect, but it just was so strange to hear.  Had McCain been elected president, he would've done a fantastic job!  I don't agree with everything he promises, but I don't agree with everything Obama promises either!  McCain is a true american hero and would've made a darn good president.  I just think Obama was the best candidate.
Well I guess this post has about no point whatsoever and is really just me ranting about my opinions.  But if I were to make a point it would be that I think people our age should be more informed before they go around making really strong statements.  That's not to say that I am well informed about everything, I just think a person should be informed before they start hating someone for no reason. 

No comments: