17.11.08

I'm a huge fan of eating meat. I was just raised to like it. It's tasty, it's satisfying, it get's the job done. But I found out some pretty disturbing things about meat and how it effects the entire world. According to vegsource.com, there are many arguments as to why our meat consumption should be toned down quite a bit. They have many arguments with evidence for this, but I think the most convincing was the hunger argument. According to them if Americans reduced their meat consumption by 10%, the land freed up could feel 100 million people. It doesn't give many details like a time frame or how they'd get the food or what food would be grown, but it still packs a powerful punch. It also goes on to say how most of the corn and oats and grains produced in America are used to feed livestock. This is rather convincing because it shows if we ate less meat there would be less livestock and if there was less livestock there would be more food. It seems to make sense. Another convincing point is that on one acre of land 40,000 pounds of potatoes can be grown while only 250 pounds of beef can be produced. It all makes perfect sense and if you read the page the other arguments are very logical too. But my question is, if it's so obvious that less meat is a good thing, then how come we are still eating it by the shovelfull?
I have some ideas. For starters we're really used to consuming meat, and plus it's tasty. Old habits die hard and plus, I can say personally switching from meat eating to vegan is tough. My mom had a phase of at least a year and a half where she was obsessed with eating organic. We would often have meatless meatballs and meatless bacon and meatless meat. I'm not gonna lie, it was pretty disgusting. But another reason is because it's profitable. There's nothing more important to people than money, and less beef means less money. So in order to keep the cash flowing they have to keep the beef flowing. That also makes perfect sense and it's probably the main reason. Another main reason is that many people just don't know. I know I didn't. Meat is thought of as being healthy and the stuff that builds muscles, it's hard to see the overall impact that producing meat has on the world when we see the immediate benefits so much sooner. So for now I will try to eat less meat, but unless somehow the word is spread quickly and well about the harm meat has on the world, I don't see less beef in our future.

link

No comments: